Kyoto Imperial Palace (Kyoto Gosho)

The Kyoto Imperial Palace is located in the center of Kyoto City. The Kyoto Gosho is a vast area measuring approximately 700 meters from east to west and 1,300 meters from north to south, and during the Edo period (1603-1867), it was an official town with more than 200 residences of various sizes.
In 1869 (Meiji 2), after the capital was moved to Tokyo, Emperor Meiji, deeply saddened by the rapidly deteriorating condition of the lord’s town, ordered the then Ministry of the Imperial Household to preserve the Imperial Palace. In response, over the course of several years, this area was developed, and it has remained in its present form as the Kyoto Imperial Gardens.
In 1974, the Cabinet decided to make it a national park along with Shinjuku Gyoen and the outer gardens of the Imperial Palace, which were also imperial gardens, and today it is a favorite resting place for the citizens of Kyoto.

Information

Name
Kyoto Imperial Palace (Kyoto Gosho)
京都御所
Address
Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture
Area
Kyoto Kyoto Gosho, Nishijin, Kitano Kyoto City
Category
Historic sites, Cultural properties, Buildings

Gallery

Kyoto City

Kyoto

Category

Area